Looking for a service opportunity? Adopt-a-Grandparent is a fun program established to allow community members a volunteer opportunity to mingle on a regular basis with the residents of the Sunshine Terrace community. Some of the benefits include but are not limited to: a great feeling of satisfaction knowing you are helping form a needed bond with someone from your community, excellent resume builder, added friendships and so much more!
- Must be able to visit your adopted grandparent between the hours of 8:00 am and 7:00 pm.
- Must visit a minimum of two hours monthly.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Fill out an interest survey and volunteer application.
Things to know:
The Recreation Therapy staff does daily activities generally at 10:00 am and 2:00 pm mixed with Music Therapy at different times of the day (check calendar for scheduled times and events). You are welcome to attend any of these events with your grandparent!
Meal times are as follows for the general wings (2, 3, 4, 6, and 7):
Breakfast at 7:00 am, Lunch at 11:00 am, and Dinner at 5:00 pm. You are welcome to purchase meal tickets at the receptionist’s desk if you would like to join them for a meal. However, please try to avoid meal times if you have a specific planned activity you would like to do with your grandparent. Meals generally last about an hour. Memory Lane (Wing 1) starts one-half hour later at 7:30 am, 11:30 am, and 5:30 pm.
Please be sure to consult with a nurse, an aid, or the Recreation Therapy staff about dietary restrictions before bringing any food items to your adopted grandparent.
Monthly calendars can be obtained at the receptionist desk or in the Recreation Therapy office.
The Recreation Therapy staff will assign you an adopted grandparent when you fill out and bring in your registration form. Please allow time for a short introduction and training.
If you would like your volunteer hours printed at any time, please contact the Recreation Therapy office.
Ideas of things to do with your grandparent:
- Read to or with them
- Sing, play musical instruments, and listen to music together
- Memories interview: Come up with some questions that will get them thinking.
- Games: i.e. uno, rook, checkers, chess, puzzles, etc.
- Watch a movie together
- Go for a walk
- Play a game on the Never-Too-Late computer
- Have a picnic together (please consult staff about dietary restrictions before bringing any
- Plant flowers together
- Use your imagination and dream up something fun!
Note to remember:
Just have fun! Act as if this person is your own grandparent and we promise you will have a wonderful experience with them. Some of them may not be able to communicate verbally very well, but having you come and visit them will lift their spirits more than you can imagine. You will become great friends if you will put in but a little effort each month. They’ll look forward to your visits and you’ll look forward to seeing them too. We appreciate your interest in serving our residents and know you’ll have a great impact on their lives.
Contact us for more information!
Sunshine Terrace Foundation: (435) 752-0411
Recreation Therapy Office: (435)754-0239
Music Therapy Office: (435)754-0272
- Julie Mattson: Recreation Therapy Manager
- Jennifer Birchell: Music Therapist